Wednesday 5 September 2007

Nike - Rooney Poster


I am not an avid football fan and so it is only through faint patriotism that I am interested in the Endland Football team. However this poster for Nike instantly struck me.

The image is so powerful, use of the English flag as a focal point is instantly recognisable, as is the footballer Wayne Rooney. Rooney's expression mid-scream amongst the taught muscles of his body replicate a 'Braveheart' impression, as well as a sportsmans victory. The image is raw and compelling, not something that is usually found in slick sports adverts.

Perhaps most interestingly however is the controversy that surrounds this advert. Nike was attacked over the Rooney 'warrior' advert by MPs and church groups for being 'offensive', 'explotative' and 'tacky' (2006). It seemes it is the christ-like pose that provoked condemnation. Other people have interpreted it as a battle cry, as arousing war amoung football fans. Labour MP Stephen Pound commented "This is such a horrible image and is so horribly war-like that it can only be described as Nike being crass, offensive and insensitive as they try to hitch poor old Rooney to their commercial bandwagon." (2006). Nike replied by saying they had non of the above attentions, they were merely showing him in his trademark goal-scoring celebration gesture.

I am interested in Ethics in Advertising and so to me this advert has become all the more compelling. Personally I think that this is a Nike ad, a sports make. I think we can safely say that any deeper meaning below patriotism, passion and pride was unintended. What could Nike gain from religious symbolism except for perhaps more publicity over their advert?

Pound, Stephen (2006). Daily Mail - Nike Attacked Over Rooney 'Warrior' picture [Accessed online 4/9/07] http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=391684&in_page_id=1770

1 comment:

tgigreeny said...

I think more publicity is probably exactly what Nike were after. For me there's an inherent religious undertone to the poster iconography. I don't find it in the slitghtest bit offensive, rather I think it's excellent, but I certainly don't think it was unintended! Great blog, btw.